Since the early heritage awareness of the mid 20th century the state has recognised the need to conserve and restore these sandstone buildings and structures which are most often of local &/or state heritage significance. On behalf of the state government this valued service has been undertaken through Department of Finance, Services and Innovation’s Heritage Stoneworks team. They are specialists in repairing and maintaining the fabric of these places to ensure they stand the test of time.
From its Alexandria (Stoneyard) site, the team manages the physical project delivery and construction management of the Minister’s Stone Program (MSP) and other heritage projects for individual government client agencies. Heritage Stoneworks has a skilled workforce of banker masons and stone processors and collaborates with private sector contractors as well. It is also the major employer of apprentices for the heritage stonework industry.
A key element of the MSP is the Minister’s stockpile of high quality sandstone which is managed by Heritage Stoneworks team to ensure a consistent supply and quality control for strength and performance of replacement stone well into the future.
In 2013 the Heritage Stoneworks team received the Trade Skills Award at the NSW National Trust Heritage Awards in recognition of the heritage skills, practices, expertise and commitment to learning and development of trade apprentices within the heritage industry.
Their services include
- stonemasonry preservation, restoration, replacement and protection
- intricate carving and shaping of stone
- heritage roofing, including slate and metal deck roofing, copper and lead work
- heritage refurbishment and building maintenance work
- provision of expert advice on heritage maintenance, and project and/or construction management services
- provision of expert advice on a range of stone and slate selection as well as its processing to suit your requirements
- sandstone processing (cutting and shaping) at the Alexandria sandstone production yard.
Some significant recent heritage stonework conservation projects
- Crown Street Public School
- Leichhardt Public School
- Newtown School of Performing Arts High School - 2014 National Trust Heritage Award
- Thomas Walker Hospital and Boathouse - 2014 National Trust Heritage Award
- Parramatta Park, Old Government House and George Street Gatehouse
- Ultimo TAFE Slate Roofs
- Powerhouse Museum
- Land Titles Office, College St, City
- Strickland House, Vaucluse
- Royal Prince Alfred Hospital
- Sydney Hospital, Macquarie Street, City
- Sydney Observatory
- State Library of NSW
- Fort Denison, Sydney Harbour
- Darlinghurst Court House
For general enquiries, please contact Troy Vanderplas, Director Heritage Stoneworks, DFSI Government and Corporate Services, 02 9565 9025 or email [email protected] .